Skip to main content

VELKOMMEN

 


“VELKOMMEN til en Hyggestrurd på”

A sign at Maude’s restaurant in Copenhagen

“WELCOME to One Fun time” (translation)  

Copenhagen was definitely one fun time. The food, the people, the weather, the clothes, and the danishes were all better than I had hoped. I am planning to carry over some of that fun time to this fall. I am also hoping to carry over some of the good food, and of course the danishes. I hadn’t planned on any clothes shopping but when your luggage goes missing for 4 days you get to add a little more Scandinavian look to your wardrobe.

What I loved and what I will try and bring into my days back home are the work life balance, the time to just be, the not so sweet danishes, and the walking & biking culture. 

Mr Blue Shed dislikes the term work-life balance because there is never an even balance between the two. Maybe a better way to refer to it is a mindfulness approach to living. Be mindful of where you are and what it is you're doing. That is a great thing for all of us, if you  are with family, friends, colleagues, or by yourself, be mindful and present in what you are doing. That transitions into my next point really nicely, learn to just be or be still. 

We have this view in the US that you need to be busy, busy, busy or you are not productive. It’s OK to have time for doing nothing, being still, quiet, or have downtime. So often we realize we need downtime but don’t prioritize it, which leads to it never happening. Now I’m going to schedule it, it might look different everyday, but that’s what I get to decide.  

I tried many many danishes, breads, and tarts in Copenhagen, and the one thing that stood out was how not overly sweet they were. They were small in size, not dripping in frosting and very simple. The other thing was the use of seeds, nuts, and grains. We were lucky enough to be able to take a Danish pastry class at CPH cooking school, we had a great time, learned a lot, and ate way too many danishes. A bonus was the owner of the school and my husband started talking coffee and we left with a list of 5 of the best coffee shops around Copenhagen, a great way to explore different districts of Copenhagen.  

Great transition into the walking & biking culture, yes we rented bikes, we walked, we took the metro, and trains. We never got in a car until we were back in the US. It was so nice to be in a place that wasn’t car-centric. Bike lanes are throughout the area, specifically for commuting. Bikes are a means of transportation not just for leisure activities, an important distinction. It was fun to get up in the morning, walk to a local coffee shop, hop on the metro, and go to another part of town, then we would walk our way back to the hotel. Great way to see things and interact with the area.  

As you can tell, Copenhagen was “One Fun Time”. We created some great memories and we will just ignore the travel issues.

 

FIKA - Make time for yourself, or enjoy time with a friend.

I have a lot of recipes to try the next few months, I made a list. My first thing is to find the perfect Danish rye bread recipe, so far I tried this one. I also made the Copenhagen Rye Cookies with Chocolate, Spice, & Seeds from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking With Dorie: Sweet, Salty, & Simple. Don't let the complicated name scare you, they were simple to make and were a perfect fika treat. 

 

A few books I’m reading: 

THE ART OF GATHERING : How We Meet and Why It Matters 

TAPROOT MAGAZINE: Inspiration for Makers, Doers & Dreamers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Begin Again - It's Spring

  “The amazing gift of being alive is that no matter what, we can always begin again ."  Sharon Salzberg I love spring. It’s the sun shinning through the windows, the longer days, the newness of the plants growing, and just the shedding of all the heaviness of winter. This year I am really looking forward to what spring brings. We planted 150 assorted daffodil bulbs in our yard last fall, now we wait to see them emerge from under the snow. I do a daily check to see what is coming up. I see a few have already begun to grown, slowly they emerge. It’s fun to remember where we planted them last fall. I think of the spring bulbs as a metaphor for myself this spring, maybe you see it too. We are coming out of 2 years of the pandemic and need to be gentle with ourselves. I am emerging slowly, finding new ways to connect with others, and just begin again. I’m trying a practice I recently heard about, starting my day with 10-15 minutes of creative work. I’ll share a few ideas with yo

Isolation Stitching - By Myself

Nothing is more meditative then sitting quietly and doing lots of tiny stitches. In March I put together all my prepared fabric and headed out to my shed. I designed on paper and then transferred that to fabric. Once the grid or outlines were on the fabric it was time to sit and stitch. I listened to podcast, and music while stitching out back on the porch of my little blue shed. With everyone home it was a little space I could call mine.  I did a lot of stitching, made some large pieces, some of the largest I have done. I spent most of May, June, and July first stitching and then dyeing those pieces. I plan to get a few more large pieces stitched over the winter to be ready to dye come March/April. When the weather turned cold I moved my studio inside the nice warm house. One of the perks of the boys moving out, I have a dedicated space inside to call mine. I plan to do some designing, stitching, and sewing during the winter. I will of course also be knitting by the fire the

Plan, Change, Repeat . . . .

  Sometimes I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I keep planning things, changing them, making new plans, and changing them again, and the cycle continues. I have come to realize that is just part of being interested in so many different things and maybe possibly a little of my insecurities. After the first few months of having my website up and running I have made a few decisions to keep myself from this hamster wheel and to provide a more consistent experience for my customers. I will be hosting two Indigo Gatherings, one in late spring and one in early fall. I will see how those go and decide about other workshops. I plan to do seasonal shop updates, of pillows, and napkins. I am hoping this keeps me on schedule with both making my items and with scheduling of Gatherings. Sometimes as a creative its hard for me to keep my focus when I don’t have plans or schedules to keep me moving forward. If I am being honest, it is sometimes ha
I don't send out a lot of emails but be the first to see when I share a new project or recipe.

Follow Along

* indicates required