Skip to main content

The Leaves are Turning

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When the weather turns cooler and the days get shorter I always start to plan for next year. Since all of my work is done outside it’s time to start thinking of what can to be done inside. I am planning some sewing projects both for me personally and for the studio shop. I will getting out my spinning wheel again and planning some new winter knitting projects.

I will take the month of October to look back on the good times of the summer of 2021 and evaluate what worked and what didn’t. Going forward I will try to do more of what I enjoyed and I will let go of what I didn’t. I hosted 2 successful Indigo Gatherings one in June and one in September. I will definitely do more of them in 2022, starting in the spring after the snow melts. I am hoping to find a place in either Salt Lake City or Logan to carry my handmade pillows and napkins. That will be my fall project, if you know of a place I should check out let me know.

In October I will be taking an online workshop with Maiwa. I will miss being in Vancouver and with all the other students but this is the next best thing. I will make myself a London Fog and try to pretend I am walking down Commercial Drive when I walk out to my shed.

These cool days are my favorite days to make a cup of tea, go out to my little blue shed, sit under the oak tree, and listen to the squirrel yell at me for being by his tree. It’s my personal little Fika time. It’s the best time to journal about the past summer and dream about the months to come.

Fika - Swedish (fee-ka) “Functioning as both a verb and a noun, the concept of fika is simple. It is the moment that you take a break, often with a cup of coffee, but alternatively with tea, and find a baked good to pair with it. You can do it alone, you can do it with friends. You can do it at home, in a park or at work. But the essential thing is that you do it, that you make time to take a break: that’s what fika is all about.” from the book Fika: The Art of the Swedish Coffee Break

With that in mind, starting this month I will be sharing a recipe for a perfect baked fika treat. Since I we just harvest the peaches from our tree, this months recipe is Tender Peach Scones. Let me know if you try it and tag me in a picture you share on Instagram. #Fikabake

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Begin Again - It's Spring

  “The amazing gift of being alive is that no matter what, we can always begin again ."  Sharon Salzberg I love spring. It’s the sun shinning through the windows, the longer days, the newness of the plants growing, and just the shedding of all the heaviness of winter. This year I am really looking forward to what spring brings. We planted 150 assorted daffodil bulbs in our yard last fall, now we wait to see them emerge from under the snow. I do a daily check to see what is coming up. I see a few have already begun to grown, slowly they emerge. It’s fun to remember where we planted them last fall. I think of the spring bulbs as a metaphor for myself this spring, maybe you see it too. We are coming out of 2 years of the pandemic and need to be gentle with ourselves. I am emerging slowly, finding new ways to connect with others, and just begin again. I’m trying a practice I recently heard about, starting my day with 10-15 minutes of creative work. I’ll share a few ideas with yo

Isolation Stitching - By Myself

Nothing is more meditative then sitting quietly and doing lots of tiny stitches. In March I put together all my prepared fabric and headed out to my shed. I designed on paper and then transferred that to fabric. Once the grid or outlines were on the fabric it was time to sit and stitch. I listened to podcast, and music while stitching out back on the porch of my little blue shed. With everyone home it was a little space I could call mine.  I did a lot of stitching, made some large pieces, some of the largest I have done. I spent most of May, June, and July first stitching and then dyeing those pieces. I plan to get a few more large pieces stitched over the winter to be ready to dye come March/April. When the weather turned cold I moved my studio inside the nice warm house. One of the perks of the boys moving out, I have a dedicated space inside to call mine. I plan to do some designing, stitching, and sewing during the winter. I will of course also be knitting by the fire the

Plan, Change, Repeat . . . .

  Sometimes I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I keep planning things, changing them, making new plans, and changing them again, and the cycle continues. I have come to realize that is just part of being interested in so many different things and maybe possibly a little of my insecurities. After the first few months of having my website up and running I have made a few decisions to keep myself from this hamster wheel and to provide a more consistent experience for my customers. I will be hosting two Indigo Gatherings, one in late spring and one in early fall. I will see how those go and decide about other workshops. I plan to do seasonal shop updates, of pillows, and napkins. I am hoping this keeps me on schedule with both making my items and with scheduling of Gatherings. Sometimes as a creative its hard for me to keep my focus when I don’t have plans or schedules to keep me moving forward. If I am being honest, it is sometimes ha
I don't send out a lot of emails but be the first to see when I share a new project or recipe.

Follow Along

* indicates required